Bathing rituals are a sacred thing. A self care ceremony that invites one to slow down, to come into balance with both mind and body. The harvest season is often a time of routine and repetition, returning to school, work and the like.
On both a physical and emotional level, shifts begin to take place in autumn. We see it in the garden, the death on the vine and the leaves beginning to turn from their summery green to the golden hues of fall. This is the perfect time to create a new ritual, to shed old habits that are no longer serving and to embrace the flow that comes with a daily practice. For me, the perfect ritual for autumn is an herbal bath.
THE HARVEST BUNDLE RITUAL
Pour 1/2 of the bag of Bath Brew soaking salts into the tub as you draw yourself a bath. Drop the tea bag into the water and steep for at least 15 minutes before soaking. Take a moment before you enter to quiet your mind. If you’d like, you can add a few tablespoons of hydrosol or a full dropper of the Full Spectrum Hemp tincture to your bath for an extra soothing soak. For best results, soak for 30-60 minutes while relaxing.
Light a candle, read a book, listen to relaxing music, make a ritual out of it.
After bathing, mist face and body liberally with hydrosol. While skin is still dewy, apply a thin layer of the Zen Cream. PRO TIP: dab around eyes, forehead and neck before bed for additional nourishment. You can also use the hydrosol after you apply to the cream to lock in moisture and enhance absorption.
* You can compost the contents of your tea bag. This cotton bag can be rinsed, dried and refilled for multiple uses. You can use herbs such as chamomile, lavender, rosemary, and many more. This is an invitation to go deeper into the ritual of self care on a regular basis. Listen to the plants, choose the ones that are calling to you for further inquiry and discovery.
Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate)
- Salt baths have been used for centuries by our ancestors to heal both the mind and the body. Epsom salt is a naturally occurring mineral made of magnesium sulfate, named after the spring in England where it rose to popularity nearly 400 years ago. Epsom salts have been used as a bath salt to relax sore muscles, calm the mind and soothe skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin and sun burns. As a body scrub, epsom salts may help to remove dead skin cells and encourage skin cell regeneration.
Full spectrum hemp (Cannabis sativa)
- Our all star ingredient in this formula helps to soothe achy muscles, calm the mind and nourish the skin. The warmth of the bath and the quieting of the mind help to open the pores so that the CBD can penetrate even deeper into the dermal layers for relaxation and repair. You can learn all about CBD in our Hemp Guide here.
Colloidal Oats (Avena sativa)
- Colloidal oats are finely ground oats that contain fats, antioxidants, proteins and other nutritional constituents which help to soften and soothe the skin. This natural emollient nourishes and strengthens the skin's innate barrier function, helping to fight free radical damage. Colloidal oats are powerful calming agents, great for itchy skin, rashes, sun exposure or aging skin.
Mugwort (Artemisia douglasiana)
- Mugwort is one of our favorite plants not only for its feminine energetics but also for its topical applications. Packed with vitamin E and antioxidants, mugwor is an excellent hydrator and overall nourishing plant for the skin. It contains several essential oils which have calming, soothing and cleansing properties. Mugwort is an excellent choice for aging, acne-prone or problematic skin. It has also been used to soothe poison oak rashes, insect bites and other skin irritations. We also have a Mugwort Hydrosol.
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
- An herb that was used by the ancient Greeks over 3,000 years ago to treat external wounds is still used for this purpose today. Yarrow is an incredible wound healer and overall circulatory system tonic. Yarrow flowers and leaves have powerful astringent and cleansing properties, making them an excellent choice for our Bath Brew Tea Bag. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, yarrow has powerful effects on the kidney, spleen, and liver channels. It may have a calming effect on varicose veins, newly healed wounds and overall skin complexion.
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- The ultimate calming herb, Lavender, has been added to this tea to calm and soothe frazzled nerves and an overactive mind. Chemical compounds found in the essential oil of lavender have powerful therapeutic effects when inhaled on both the mind and body.
Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)
- Chamomile has long been used as a soothing skin care herb. This little flower contains powerful essential oils which have calming effects on the mind and physical body by simply inhaling. Chamomile has been used to reduce the visibility of scars, aid in skin regeneration and repair. It is an overall nourishing herb that is great for alleviating mental and physical woes.
Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
- One of our favorite skin care herbs, calendula does it all. This bright and bold flower contains so many nourishing compounds. Calendula may help to improve skin complexion, lending support to the body's natural cell regeneration process. It may also help to boost hydration, elasticity and overall tone.
Rose (Rosa damascena)
- Roses have been one of the top skin care ingredients for thousands of years. The scent of rose evokes a sense of peace, of beauty and content. The juicy petals of rose are filled with vitamins, antioxidants and fragrant essential oils. All of these compounds support the outer and inner most parts of our being.